Sunday, December 26, 2010

December 25, 2010

Merry Christmas!  -
We decided that we wanted to spend Christmas in NC, so I drove myself down on the Wednesday before Christmas, with Ron following on Thursday. This was actually a pretty large undertaking as I haven't been driving at all.  I've been feeling good though, my energy has come back and I'm feeling more in control of my life again. 
The only difficulty was my eyes.  I’m not sure if it is the result of the chemo or age,. But I’m really having some trouble with my vision. My regular prescription is blurry, and I actually see more clearly without my glasses, however my eyes get tired very quickly and that’s what happened while I was driving.  About 3 hours into a 4 ½ hour drive I found myself squinting to see clearly and by the time I got to the townhouse I was really struggling.  I could see to drive – don’t get me wrong but it was difficult to read signs clearly.
After talking to Marjorie thursday night, it was decided that Ron and I would host the family for Christmas Eve and she would do Christmas dinner as she had family coming in from Christmas and that would be the bigger crowd.  Rich and Anya came over on the 23rd and helped me put the tree up and then she and I decorated it on Friday afternoon.  When we left the house we still had some misc. boxes in the basement among them – our Christmas ornaments. I was heartbroken to realize that we had lost them.  Julie had gathered up my village and some Christmas statues, but all the little ones I had collected over the years were no where to be found.  Okay this is a different kind of Christmas and just one more thing to let go of.  So I am.  We’ll start new traditions. On Friday Ron ran out to walmart and got the last 3 boxes of red and silver ornaments along with some ribbon to wrap the tree.  I have to say the simplicity of the tree was really very pretty and festive.

We had a great family dinner of ham, homemade mac and cheese, peas, crescent roles, scalloped potatoes, cheesecake and cupcakes from Gigi.  Lots of presents and laughter and everyone stayed until late. 

We are expecting a big snowstorm tonight, so Ron is going to head home later today.  He’s got a big concrete pour on Monday and its supposed to snow all the way up the 95 corridor tomorrow.  I’m actually pretty beat from the last couple of days so I’m staying in my PJ’s and just going to relax.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you had a nice evening..so a late Merry Christmas to you & I know 2011 , will be a better year for you w/ that new diet of yours ! xo Deb