Sunday, January 16, 2011

Thursday 1/6/11

 Had my first stranger hug today.  I was out to lunch with a couple friends and we were just getting ready to leave, when a woman came up with her arms outstretched to me.  She said one word “chemo?” I said “yes” and she hugged me. Actually she didn’t feel like a stranger at all. It turns out she had breast cancer 7 years ago and went through chemo, surgery and radiation.  Fingers crossed for her – she is still cancer free. (She also had very long hair J) 

No matter how I might look at my experience with cancer, there is no doubt that I have joined an amazing community of supportive, loving women.  As I write this I’m flashing back to my 20’s where I wouldn’t let anyone hug me – not even my friends.  If they tried to hug me I just stiffened up.  I actually worked hard to get past this, so today was a bit of validation as well for me.  I’ve come a long way baby!

On another note – I also received an amazing gift this afternoon from a number of my friends.  They joined together to get me a gift spa card so that I can start the detoxification process now that I’ve finished my chemo. If I’ve learned anything through all of this it is that I will never question whether I am a lovable person again. I have received so much care and love from so many people that it constantly astounds me.

No comments: