Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Tuesday 3/1/11

Met with the new surgeon yesterday.  She seemed much more open to talking and listening than the previous one.  Her assistant actually asked me if I was working with a Naturopath, and said that they believe in treating the “whole person.”  That was refreshing.

Unfortunately the surgeon agrees with my oncologist that there is something going on with the breast.  Her suggestion is to get another mammogram and ultra sound from the radiologist who did the original, as well as a reading of the most recent MRI. She also recommended a “punch” biopsy of the discolored and thickened skin to determine whether there is cancer there.  Once she has all of that info, she said we could then make an informed decision on how to move forward.  We also talked about the surgery on the breast and the lymph nodes. While she feels it’s the right thing to do, she also seemed to understand my reluctance and my reasoning.  She sees the dietary changes as “complimentary” to my treatment and recommended the nutritionist who is part of the center as someone to also talk to.  

Ron and I left there feeling more reassured that if the surgery is necessary she would at least be someone who would partner with us rather than just tell us what to do.  I’m disappointed that the dietary changes, supplements, acupuncture, and reiki have not created my “8 week” miracle.

On the other hand, I’m back to working out and feeling strong and alive. I’ve managed to slow down my work schedule and am going to enjoy the down time.  I will persist along the path I have set for myself even though I certainly find myself stumbling and doubting but ultimately I have a strong faith in the universe.  I apologize to my family and friends who are caring, hurting, and stumbling right along with me but I’m also thankful you are there.  Maybe we are all in this to learn together – I don’t know what…and you’d think there would be an easier way, but I don’t think I’ve ever taken the easy road J  Welcome to my weird universe and thanks for all your love and support.

No comments: