Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sunday 1/16/11

I’ve now been completely vegan for one week. I have to keep reminding myself this not just a choice but my life. The really interesting thing is that I don’t miss meat per se…but I miss the ease of deciding what to have for dinner – it was always meat and a vegetable or a salad.  Now it’s a vegetable…and a vegetable? I went out and bought a bunch of vegan cookbooks and have combed through two of them cover to cover.  Ron has been amazingly supportive and encouraging.  He loves everything I’ve made and will even eat the leftovers the next day for lunch.  We’ve also found a pretty good vegetarian restaurant called Lotus and have had both dinner and lunch there.  Of course he also keeps making jokes about his manhood as he consumes lotus root and actually likes it.  Oh and did I mention we are also taking a Sunday morning yoga class now.  I told him it would improve his golf game… hey whatever it takes! 
What I do miss is dairy and sugar (sugar feeds cancer so it is also out except for stevia and agave nectar).  I didn’t realize how often I would grab a stick of string cheese or a handful of raisinettes, or a yogurt.  To me they were healthy choices that kept me going until dinner.  Even a cup of coffee at the office would have a packet of sugar and creamer in it.  So I’m finding substitutes and realize this is going to be a process.  Plus I’ve decided if I want a piece of chocolate or something sweet maybe a few raisinettes are not that bad of a choice – after all they are raisins and that’s dried fruit right!?.
I’m scheduled for both the CT scan and the Breast MRI this week so we’ll see if the cancer is really gone from both the breast and the lymph node.  The CT scan will also show if it spread anywhere else as well.  So fingers are crossed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful. Please keep us posted on your MRI. I would have a hard time keeping away from sugar, chocolate and meat. God Bless you and your husband.

Anonymous said...

Hi MJ - I hope we don't make it hard for you this weekend! I'll hide my martini! I know that vegan is actually very healthy if you can find enough protein and stand the extra effort - for you it's worth it...can't wait to see you....XO Barbara

itsmecissy said...

MJ,
I read your entire blog yesterday. My Mother was a two time breast cancer survivor and I went through everything with her - twice. She passed away three years ago this month, though not from breast cancer.

You are an inspiration and logging your incredible journey this way is so important. I just wanted to let you know that I'm rooting for you too! Hope you get great news this week with your MRI.

Cathy, in California